SWAT Responds To Active Shooter Report At Hospital post Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando, FL on June 12, 2016

0 Comment

This video contains unedited police interactions that is shown for documentary purposes of a newsworthy event. It is left unedited so that people may understand what actually happened in this event. It may contain graphic video and/or audio. Viewer discretion is advised.

On June 12, 2016, what began as an active shooter incident when a lone gunman entered the Pulse nightclub in Orlando and began shooting innocent club goers transitioned into a barricaded-suspect-with-hostages incident. The night was horrific, and by morning the Pulse tragedy had become the deadliest terrorist attack on American soil since September 11, 2001. Ultimately at least one out of every three people in Pulse was either wounded or killed, and one hundred two innocent people had been shot: 49 of them killed, 53 injured.

As the scene at Pulse unfolded law enforcement was faced with many monumental tasks. Among them was collecting, processing, and swiftly taking appropriate action in response to information.

At 3:25 am, as victims were actively being evaluated and resuscitated at Orlando Regional Medical Center, a report was issued indicating that gunfire had been heard in the emergency room lobby. The hospital’s “code silver” active shooter plan was implemented and heavily armed police officers and sheriff’s deputies rapidly arrived and began combing the hospital for possible threats. Staff closed doors and remained in place while continuing to provide patient care, as portable X-ray machines were used to barricade the trauma resuscitation room doors and prevent entry.

Initial reports stated that one of the victims that had been transferred to the hospital was in fact a second shooter at the club. This allegation was later determined to be false, but the report led to an incredibly tense scene at the hospital. But finally, approximately 45 minutes after it began, the code silver alert and lockdown were lifted.

This body-worn camera footage shows the manhunt for the non-existent second shooter, beginning just before the report of his existence came over the radio and ending with the “capture” of a terrifically unlucky Pulse victim and the stand-down of responding officers.

Of note, many physicians and nurses continued to move from room to room of the emergency department during the lockdown, caring for patients despite the risk of personal injury.